Apple Cider Slaying (A Cider Shop Mystery)
by Julie Anne Lindsey
About Apple Cider Slaying
Apple Cider Slaying (A Cider Shop Mystery)
1st in Series
Kensington (October 29, 2019)
Mass Market Paperback: 320 pages
Digital ASIN: B07NCQPSVW
Apples are at the core of the family business run by Winona Mae Montgomery and her Granny Smythe. But this year’s crop is unseasonably ripe with murder . . .
ONE ROTTEN APPLE
Blossom Valley, West Virginia, is home to Smythe Orchards, Winnie and her Granny’s beloved twenty-five-acre farm and family business. But any way you slice it, it’s struggling. That’s why they’re trying to drum up business with the “First Annual Christmas at the Orchard,” a good old-fashioned holiday festival with enough delicious draw to satisfy apple-picking locals and cider-loving tourists alike—until the whole endeavor takes a sour turn when the body of Nadine Cooper, Granny’s long-time, grudge-holding nemesis, is found lodged in the apple press. Now, with Granny the number one suspect, Winnie is hard-pressed to prove her innocence before the real killer delivers another murder . .
What I Thought:
I was really excited to read this series, as it is set in my home state of West Virginia, and I was not disappointed. While I was a little confused about the location of the story, northern West Virginia, and mention of the New River, which is in southern West Virginia, that really did not detract from the incredible story and I will chalk it up to it being a fictional tale and giving the author creative license. I really did enjoy this story and once I started it, I could hardly put it down. It was very enthralling and kept me turning the pages. Once the mystery was introduced, I was at a loss as to who the killer could be and what the actual motive for the murder really was. I thought the author did a great job with describing the relationships in the book, and I can honestly say, this is how most folks in WV are, very helpful and ready to step up to lend a neighbor a hand. Like I said, I did not know who the killer could be, nor the motive and I was totally floored by the reveal. I am anxiously awaiting the next installment in this series.
About Julie Anne Lindsey
Julie Anne Lindsey is a multi-genre author who writes the stories that keep her up at night. When she's not creating new worlds and organizing the epic adventures of fictional characters, Julie can be found carpooling her three kids around Northeastern Ohio and plotting with her shamelessly enabling friends. Today, she hopes to make someone smile. One day she plans to change the world. Julie is a member of the International Thriller Writers, Romance Writers of America, and Sisters in Crime.
Visit her online at www.JulieAnneLindsey.com
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/JulieAnneLindseyAuthor/
Twitter - https://twitter.com/JulieALindsey
Pinterest - https://www.pinterest.com/juliealindsey/
Purchase Links - Amazon - B&N - Kobo - GooglePlay - Indie Bound
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Five Things About Being A Writer
That I’m Most Thankful For
By Julie Anne Lindsey
Believe it or not, being a full time writer isn’t an easy job. It requires a lot of time management skills, juggling multiple characters, worlds, manuscripts and publishers. Add to that the chaos of family, friends, housework and attempting to succeed in an industry that never sleeps, and a writer’s life can get a little bananas. I’ve honest to goodness left the house wearing two different shoes, driven off with my coffee on the roof of my car and fed my children cereal for dinner more nights than I will ever admit. But the thing is that I wouldn’t trade my cuckoo life for anything. And while it might look like I’m a crazy cat lady, more often than not, I am, in fact, living my dream.
I could tell more tales of the absent-minded things I’ve done while lost in a story, but I think it will be more fun to share my top five favorite things about being a cozy mystery author.
5. The Research –I’ve taken some pretty amazing adventures in the name of research. Normally, I gather information from my desk, but sometimes I get to go out into the big wide world and learn. I’ve been everywhere from Honolulu and New Orleans to Nashville and New York City all in the name of research. I’ve toured historic theaters, abandoned malls, watched rescue dogs train and taken a LOT of ghost walks. I’ve even met federal agents and the local coroner, but inevitably I recall I’m a painful introvert and head home.
4. Staying Home – I get to work from home! And it’s fantastic. I never have to leave the nest I’ve feathered perfectly just for me. I don’t have to call-off when I’m sick or tired. I can begin and end my shift whenever I want. And there is No dress code!
3. Wearing PJs – I can wear pajamas to the office! And I do! Everyday! In fact, I frequently change from my sleep-pajamas to my work-pajamas when it’s time to start my day. Why, yes, there is a difference. My sleep pajamas look like they were hit with a dump truck forty-years-ago and I found them on the road afterward, but my work pajamas are relatively clean and new, just in case I have to answer the door for take-out or a package delivery.
2. Reading is Encouraged! – That’s right. Read that one again. Reading is Encouraged at my office! How many people get to read at work? Cause I do! In fact, I’m SUPPOSED to! The more the better! Why? Because reading helps me hone my craft, it gives me new ideas and keeps my brain sharp. Plus, reading is my favorite thing EVER. And as a writer, I get to read anytime I want and as much as possible. Added bonus: I can write off any books purchased as enrichment on my taxes!
1. My readers - I saved the best for last, and I’m looking at you. My readers are now and will always be my favorite part of being a cozy mystery author. The cozy community is like no other. Y’all are warm and welcoming. Kind and encouraging. And you make me want to write a better book every time. Just to keep you smiling, guessing and reading!
And that’s it! These are the top five reasons I adore spending my days plotting fictional schemes. It’s exactly the life I’ve always wanted, and on behalf of all the other writers out there in the world, I’d like to extend a huge thanks to You, dear reader, for making our dreams possible
Julie Anne Lindsey is an award-winning and national bestselling author of mystery and romantic suspense. She’s published more than twenty-five novels since her debut in 2013 and currently writes series as herself, as well as under multiple pen names, for Harlequin, Kensington, Sourcebooks and Crooked Lane Books. When she's not writing the stories that keep her up at night, Julie stays busy in Ohio with her extremely patient husband and three amazing kids. Today she hopes to make someone smile. One day she plans to change the world. Learn more about Julie and her books at